"Covert Opens Potomac Season With Convincing Late Model Victory"
"Defending Champ Roberson Scores in RUSH Crates"
By Doug Watson
Budds Creek, MD- York Haven Pa.'s Jason Covert took top honors in last Friday nights season opening 30-lap Late Model feature at Potomac Speedway. The win for Covert, aboard his Cameron/Mann owned Rocket no.72, was his 11th career win at the speedway and earned him a $2500 winners check.
The redraw placed Covert and Daryl Hills on the front row for the start of the event with Covert surging into the race lead as the field went hard into turn one. Once in the lead, Covert basically had the race in control, and would eventually pace all 30-circuits. "I made some changes before qualifying that put us behind a bit." Covert stated post race. "I drew the last pill during the redraw and it happened to be a one, so I knew if I could get out front first, we'd be hard to pass and this is a great win for our team." Second through fifth went hard at it for most of the race with Amanda Whaley prevailing for the runner-up spot at the finish. Nick Davis, Dale Hollidge and Ross Robinson rounded out the top five. During Late Model time trials Amanda Whaley broke the track record that Jeremy Miller set in 2004 with a one lap time of 14.171 surpassing Miller's mark of 14,381. Heats went to Whaley and Hills.
Defending track champion Logan Roberson scored the win in the 20-lap RUSH Crate Late Model main. Lining up fifth for the start, Roberson overhauled David Williams on the seventh lap and would lead the distance in the caution free event steering his Rocket no.17R. "This is a great way to start our season" The happy winner stated. "My mom and dad put every penny they can into our team and to win at home the first time out with this car is amazing." Williams held tough for second with Chuck Bowie, Darren Alvey and Jamie Sutphin rounding out the top-five. Heats went to Roberson and Williams.
In support class action Jonathon Raley scored his 23rd career Potomac win in the 15-lap Hobby Stock feature, Defending track champion Mike Latham took win no.49 in the 16-lap Street Stock main and Jamie Marks took the win the second of his career, in the nightcap 15-lap U-Car event.
Late Model feature finish
1. Jason Covert 2. Amanda Whaley 3. Nick Davis 4. Dale Hollidge 5. Ross Robinson 6. Daryl Hills 7. Kyle Hardy 8. Kenny Moreland 9. Kyle Lear 10. Scott Wilson 11. Tyler Emory 12. Jamie Lathroum
RUSH Crate Late Model feature finish
1. Logan Roberson 2. David Williams 3. Chuck Bowie 4. Darren Alvey 5. Jamie Sutphin 6. Ryan Clement 7. Greg Beach 8. Jeff Pilkerton 9. Matt Tarbox 10. John Imler 11. Megan Mann 12. Darin Henderson 13. Timmy Booth 14. Brent Bordeaux 15. Tracey Graves
Street Stock feature finish
1. Mike Latham 2. Ed Pope Jr. 3. Craig Parrill 4. Jeremy Pilkerton 5. Mike Raleigh 6. Scooter Jones
Hobby Stock feature finish
1. Jonathan Raley 2. Sam Archer 3. Dave Adams 4. Hilton Pickeral 5. Buddy Dunagan 6. Sam Raley 7. Robbie Kramer 8. Mikey Latham 9. Matt Randall 10. James Rainey 11. Luke Lukinic 12. Pete Stallings 13. Greg Morgan 14. Ray Bucci 15. Tommy Randall 16. Jerry Deason 17. Jonathan Knott 18. Lane Clise
U-Car feature finish
1. Jamie Marks 2. Dominic King 3. Dominic Silvious 4. Stephen Suite 5. Ben Pirner 6. Kyle Randall 7. Savannah Windsor 8. Michael Leigh